Monday, May 5, 2014

present

Monday, May 5, 2014 (7:05 a.m.)
Thank You God,

Thank You for the gift of Your presence! My first thought this morning was the direct opposite of a word I used yesterday.

Today, rather than thinking of being absent from You I chose instead to consider being present with You. The word present made me think of gifts. And again I considered how blessed we are by the gift of Your presence.

Father, You are so extremely patient with us. You provide. Shower. Bless. Equip. Give. Offer. Present us with opportunities. We don't always make good decisions.

Thank You Father, that even here my thoughts are going one way and You bring me back to read again of the Israelites. Numbers 13 and 14 tell of Your chosen people being afraid, grumbling and rebelling. I read their story and am reminded of how easily those are still my go to responses. Thank You for Your work that reminds me not to stay stuck in my own way of doing things.

Thank You for Your words to Moses which he pled back to You on behalf of Your people. “I am the Lord. I am slow to get angry [patient]. I am full of love. I forgive those who sin. I forgive those who refuse to obey” (Numbers 14:18a). A wonderful description. I find a lot of hope in considering those words.

It's what comes next that has me wanting to toe Your line. “But I do not let guilty people go without punishing them. I punish the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren for the sin of their parents” (18b). Not something I want to have happen because of my own doing.

I experienced Your work on my behalf the other night. They were words coming out of my own mouth. A bit of misunderstanding could have easily escalated to misery. In the past it would have. Two sets of feet would have stubbornly planted themselves, unwilling to budge.

But You intervened. I heard You. The explanation I wanted to give completely fell away with these words. “There are few things in this world I care passionately enough to fight you on. This is not one of them. You were right. I'll stay out of it.”

What? Me walk away from a potentially heated confrontation?

And right here, the gift of Your presence supplies my answer. Proverbs 15:1. “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger.”

Father, thank You. Thank You for leading me. Guiding me. Infusing me with Your goodness and Your grace that I could actually LIVE Your Word in that moment without even thinking about it. It came automatically. Not my usual. And so wonderfully appreciated!

I ask You to use us well this day. There is much to be done in preparation of celebrating the anniversary of a precious birth tomorrow. Guide us. Direct us. Make us able to discern the things You deem necessary. Teach us Your first things and empower us to do them.

How I thank You for the work You are doing in and through, with and for us. And I ask You to continue making us into the people You would have us be. Loving. Patient. Kind... (1Corinthians 13:4-7).

Thank You for loving us Lord and allowing us to be present with You in our hearts, souls and mind. Thank You. We love You. Use us. Amen.

(566 words ~ 9:00 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment