Thursday, May 8, 2014

determination

Thursday, May 8, 2014 (6:30 a.m.)
Loving Lord,

Loving, loving Lord. Thank You!

Only You have the power to change my dogged determination from wanting to hurt another to wanting to forgive. I tried to do it on my own and couldn't.

I attempted talking myself out of one behavior and into another. It didn't happen. Not until I fully opened myself up to You, confessing my unwillingness to forgive. Thank You for Your loving, forgiving nature.

Thank You that even though I continue wanting to bring up a negative situation You keep reminding me that You've got this. In due time. I am to wait. Be still. Know that You are God. Trust. You!

Thank You that I get to know You as loving. Thank You that You have provided me the desire to learn more of Your Divine Wisdom (1Corinthians 2 Illustrated Bible Handbook). It truly is You and Your Word that I long to Trust and Obey

Blessed Father, thank You that the further I get away from my will and the closer I get to Yours for me, the more clearly I see that bitter resentment looks nothing like loving kindness. Jesus hung on a cross. Beaten. Scorned.

Is this where I confess to having looked more at my own set of petty circumstances than to Him and His selfless example of genuine love and forgiveness? From the cross “Jesus said, 'Forgive them, Father! They don't know what they are doing'” (Luke 23:34a).

My feelings got hurt and for two nights I held out for an apology that never came. There was no budging toward forgiveness on either part. A stalemate.

Ah, but You can do in and through, with and for us that which we cannot do by ourselves. You soften hearts. Remind us. Prick our conscience. Thank You.

Thank You for never leaving nor forsaking us (Deuteronomy 31:6, 8) to our own devices. In my own strength and power I am unable to remember even that.

Thank You that You are so much greater than any of us. Thank You for again guiding me into and through Your Word. Thank You for every single reminder You offer. Thank You for forgiving my refusal of said offers.

Thank You for Paul's words to the people of Corinth (1Corinthians 2:2) that help me remember what I too easily forget. “You may as well know now that it was my secret determination to concentrate entirely on Jesus Christ and the fact of His death upon the cross” (J.B. Phillips New Testament).

What a perfect antidote for the perils of self pity! Thank You Father. Thank You Jesus. Thank You Holy Spirit. Continue Your blessed work in making us more and more like You. I love You. I need You. I want You. Use me. Well. To Your good and to Your glory. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(474 words ~ 8:24 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment