Monday, May 26, 2014

get ahead

Monday, May 26, 2014 (8:50 a.m.)
Blessed, Holy, Father God,

Thank You! Thank You for continuing Your work in changing my perspective. I started to think of how very far behind we are in the work we have to do around here. Rather than bemoan and chastise ourselves I thought of asking You to help us get ahead.

I like the way You soften my heart. There are so many factors that could derail my thinking. Cause me to fall back into the rut of over-thinking situations. When I remember to look to Your Word, I find myself taking deep breaths and relaxing. Thank You Father.

Paul's letter to the people of Philippi was written under an entirely different set of circumstances. He was writing from prison to friends who cared deeply about him. He wrote to thank them for their friendship and to encourage them to stay constant in their love for Christ.

Father, I have to confess right here, it is still far too often that I allow current affairs to waylay my dependence on You. Too easily I fret. Stew. Brood. Your Word counteracts that every time. Especially Paul's teachings on joy.

Thank You for his honesty. He reminded his friends to stay joyful in their circumstances. He made them aware that 'wholeness of life does not come from material things or pleasant circumstances. Genuine joy, meaning, and satisfaction come as we follow Christ and help others to grow spiritually' (The Life Recovery Bible book introduction to Philippians).

Through this book we get to be reminded that it's when we turn our life over to You that we are able to experience the power of Your Holy Spirit working in us. The overall theme of this letter is joy. Joy found in various events.

Here I am joyful in being able to feel You nudging me toward “Unity through Humility” (Chapter 2, verses 1-4). I'm taking a stretch. I'm using Paul's words to a completely separate set of circumstances to remind me of the importance of working together as a team.

“If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if His love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care – then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand” (Philippians 2:1-4, The Message).

Blessed Father, these words speak more deeply to my soul than I can even express. There is so much Truth here of who I used to be and how I often behaved. The Life Recovery comment reminds me that “we are never an island unto ourself... as we grow, we have to move beyond self-centeredness and become interested in others.”

Once upon a time, in a relationship far, far away, a struggle of running behind would have erupted into a war of wills. This morning I turn it all over to You, asking that You would be the power behind our forces to get ahead. Do all You must to make us the joyful people You created us to be.

We love You Father. Our goal is to praise You and have fun in the process. To me that equals out to joy. Keep working to remind us that it [joy] is found in all our circumstances. I love You. I thank You. Use us well I pray. Amen.

(613 words ~ 9:50 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment