Wednesday, February 27, 2013

pusillanimous


Wednesday, February 27, 2013 (6:49 a.m.)
Most Holy Father God,
I love You. Thank You for a genuinely nice way to celebrate our anniversary. Simply. Surrounded by people who cared and acknowledged it with cupcakes and homemade ice cream. Nice. Easy. Nothing extravagant. Perfect.
Father, I am asking to take those descriptions into this day. We have much work to do. Many descisions to make. I tend to complicate things and want to hide from it all. Thank You for the friends You have given me who remind me, at the most perfect time, of the importance of counting blessings instead of sheep
I confess to feeling overwhelmed. Paralyzed by fear of making a mistake. How I ask that You would grant the peace that passes understanding down into my heart (Philippians 4:7).
Thank You Father. I confess and ask and You are right here to remind me of the joy You offer us at every turn. Once again I am reading Paul's letter to the people of Philippi. “Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don't forget to thank Him for His answers” (4:6).
Father, You know my needs. I have to make decisions on time management, paint colors, clothing options. None of which are life threatening. All seem ridiculously simple when I state them so clearly. Father, I ask You to be here with us at every turn of the choices we have to make.
It's Your joy I want to have evident in all that we do. You invite us into Your Word and here I get to sit reading more and more of it. Thank You Father.
A quote I came across last week on a calendar page of A Fruitful Life (which I desperately want to live!) says, “Make each day count as a step toward understanding and loving others more fully.” Yes Lord! Help us make the decisions that will exemplify You and Your love in our lives.
As I read Paul's words to his close friends I am thrilled to be reminded of the joys that come from our relationship with Your Son. Because of His sacrifice we don't have to be anxious. We get to bring every single need we have right straight to You and experience Your incredible peace.
Thank You Father. You have continued Your refining work in us around here to the point that I catch myself right in the midst of name calling and inappropriate hand gestures. Thank You that 'gentle words really do turneth away wrath' (Proverbs 15:1a)! Thank You too for Your continual reminders to use words that build up, not those that tear dwon (Ephesians 4:29-32).
And speaking of words, thank You for the addition of a brand new one for me this morning. Pusillanimous: adjective – showing a lack of courage or determination; timid. That is NOT the way You would have me live this life Your Son so freely gave His up for. In Him, through Him I have the opportunity to live bravely. “I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me” (Philippians 4:13).
Pusillanimous is a big word with an origin dating back to late Middle English. With ties to Latin and Greek it's roots break up into meaning 'very small' + 'mind'. I don't want that used to describe me! Help me live this day confidently. Bravely. Making good decisions. In Christ!
Thank You Father. I love You. Amen.
(581 words ~ 8:12 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment