Thursday, June 28, 2012

John 16:33


Thursday, June 28, 2012 (6:54 a.m.)
Blessed God,
Good morning. I love You. How’s that for a better attitude? Father, I’m coming before You right now asking again that You would change me, right here where I sit.
I keep getting lost thinking about the sad things in life. Too often I forget that there is much gladness to be found as well. I may joke about wanting to have a Pollyanna disposition, but when all truth is told what I truly want is to trust in You.
On the night of His last supper, Jesus told His disciples what all they could expect to happen. How I thank You that He said the words listed in John 16:33. There is so much power and hope to be found here. So often I think I am surely doing everything wrong because of how things appear to be going. It’s the truth of these words that reminds me that we are never too far away from You and Your best for us.
Here are a variety of ways that various people have transcribed His words. Each one expressing the same premise in just a different shading. Each offering a reason to rejoice in You!
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (TNIV)
“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (NLT)
“I have told you these things so you may have peace in Me. In the world you will have much trouble. But take hope! I have power over the world!” (NLV)
“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (NKJV)
“I’ve told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.” (MSG)
“I’ve told you this so my peace will be with you. In the world you’ll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world.” (GW)
“I have told you these things so that you can have peace in me. In this world you will have troubles. But be brave! I have defeated the world!” (ERV)
“I have said these things to you so that, united with me, you may have shalom. In the world, you have tsuris. But be brave! I have conquered the world!” (CJB)
“I have told you this, so that you might have peace in your hearts because of me. While you are in the world, you will have to suffer. But cheer up! I have defeated the world.” (CEV)
All of these translations, each with it’s own unique flavoring, remind us that it’s only in JESUS that we will have peace. How I thank You for this wonderful reminder of where I am to put my hope and trust.
The Amplified Bible uses even more words to describe this promise. “I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]”
There’s no getting around it. I am to be brave. Of good cheer. Hopeful…
Just for today, just for the very next moment all this day long, provide exactly as You know I need. I love You so much. It is my desire to glorify and enjoy You this day.
Thank You for Your love. Your provision. Your plan. Your promises. Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(668 words ~ 8:25 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment