Tuesday, May 22, 2012

different concept


Saturday, May 19, 2012 (7:52 a.m.)
Primm, NV
Blessed Father,
Again last evening I was presented with a different concept than that with which I am used. The idea of You as Mother God.
Looking to Your Word and searching writings about this very different to me concept leaves me excited AND confused. You know I never want to run the risk of blasphemy. I will often stop short of complete understanding, for fear of MIS-understanding.
I look to You. Asking You to teach me that which You would have me know. Lead me in the areas You would have me pursue. And let all falsehoods fall far away from me.
Two thoughts I will take with me. One from Your Word, Genesis 1:27, “So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.” The other from A Catholic Response webpage I found.
“Our human words can never adequately express God, Who is both holy (Psalm 99) and Love (1 John 4:16). Unlike human words, Jesus Christ is the Incarnate Word, Who can express God completely (Hebrews 1:1-3; Matthew 11:27). Christians can call God ‘Father’ because Jesus because Jesus gave us permission (Galatians 4:6). Otherwise we would be committing a sacrilege or even idolatry.
“In the Bible, God is described by many metaphors including that of motherhood (Deuteronomy 32:18; Matthew 23:37), but never called ‘Mother’ per se. In describing God, we must recognize the problems of our language. Even though our language is inadequate to describe God, it does influence our behavior and how we think of Him; therefore, it must be as correct and precise as possible. We may never find the exact words, but we must avoid using the wrong words. As Christians, we do not have the right to personally change God’s title to fit our whims.”
That seems to about sum it up for me. “Father”. “Holy”. “Blessed”. NOT “Mother”. Works for me! Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(342 words ~ 11:29 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment