Friday, May 25, 2012

courage


Friday, May 25, 2012 (6:22 a.m.)
Anaheim, CA
Awesome God,
Talk to me this morning about courage. “Courage: noun - the ability to do something that frightens one; strength in the face of pain or grief. ORIGIN Middle English (denoting the heart, as the seat of feelings) Courage is what makes someone capable of facing extreme danger and difficulty without retreating”.
Courage. I’d like some please. Derived terms are: courageous, discourage and encourage. Obsolete uses are the verb form I awoke thinking of: couraged, couraging and courages. So much I want to experience that ‘confident character of not being afraid or intimidated easily’. There are times. There really are times. I’d like them to be more consistently present in me.
Where will I be able to develop such courage? In and through You. Only, in and through You.
I read Your Word and take It to heart. It encourages, enheartens and emboldens me. It inspires me. And fills me with hope.
(1:36 p.m.)
Hope? There’s that word again! Reading a Serenity Prayer devotion for 1 Chronicles 28:1-21 builds my hope. Interesting that this particular section speaks of King David’s hope ‘of building a magnificent temple, the likes of which the world had never seen.’
It goes on to say “It’s natural to fear that if we allow ourself to hope we’ll only be disappointed again, or that we might start and fail, suffering public humiliation.” I don’t know that it has ever occurred to me that it even takes courage just to hope! Thank You Father. I needed to learn that!
“Fear of failure, humiliation, or disappointment can keep us from seeking life in all its fullness. It takes courage to dream of the life we truly desire.” Have I stopped dreaming, God?
Further along, this same section states “But we need only ‘to be strong and courageous and get to work.’ We need not be frightened by the size of the task, for ‘God who began the good work within you will keep right on helping you grow in His grace until His task within you is finally finished’ (Philippians 1:6).”
Most Blessed Father God, I confess to being afraid to hope for more. I’m asking You to teach me to dream the dreams You have for me. Teach me what it’s like to live a life based on courage instead of fear. I love You so much and I long to be the woman You have created me to be. Thank You for the work You are doing in me. I love You. Amen.
(426 words ~ 1:52 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment