Sunday, June 27, 2010

expectations

Friday, June 25, 2010 (8:11 a.m.)

Good Morning Lord,

Would You talk to me this morning about expectations? Mine seem to be way too high and perhaps a bit unrealistic. With that said, let me confess to the sadness I am experiencing because of them being unmet.

Lord, thank You that I get to be this honest with You. Thank You that whatever it is I am feeling, I get to share it with You. Hmm. Could it be that once again I’ve been putting my hopes, dreams, expectations in people, places, things and not in You? That seems about right.

Thank You that I don’t have to stay stuck in messes of my own making. Thank You that I get to turn to Your Word. Once again I find myself in the Book of Isaiah (beginning at 64:3) jumping back and forth between warnings of judgment and Your message of hope.

With tears ready to stream down my face, I have my mouth set tightly to hold them at bay. This is all too close for my comfort level. Lord, I feel lost. Sad. Afraid. Alone. These are all just feelings. Not truths set in stone. They ebb and flow and change. And for that I am immensely grateful Lord.

You don’t change. My expectations, for myself and others, can be completely out of whack. Those can be lowered. Altered. Changed. Completely discarded. But You? Never! Your Truth stands firm. You are where I want to put my hope. You are the strength of my heart and my portion forever! Mm. Yes Lord!

Whom have I in heaven but You? There is nothing on earth I desire beside You My heart and my strength many times they fail But there is one truth that always will prevail God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever (Psalm 73:26)

Teach me to put all my expectations in You Dear Lord! Help me trust and fully depend on You and Your Word. I love You so much Dear Lord. Thank You for all You are and all You do. Amen.

(340 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment