Tuesday, July 31, 2012

judging others


Saturday, July 28, 2012 (9:17 a.m.)
Blessed, Awesome Father God,
Thank You. Thank You that You are the loving, just and forgiving God that You are. I am coming before You confessing something You already know.
Father, I judge others. Harshly. Often unknowingly. Sometimes unmercifully. And I don’t know how to stop. I will even put myself on the list. Perhaps very close to the top.
I am asking You to direct and guide me in Your Word as to what You would have me do with this.
Is this You speaking to me? In my Life Recovery Bible, I was turning from reading of The Final Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15) to a section in Luke (6:37-45). I’m fully prepared to confess the harshness with which I have repeatedly found myself judging others and right under Luke 9:62 I read words I had penciled in sometime ago. “Looking back keeps you from going straight!”
I am confessing confusion to You Father. I know I judge myself with a seemingly impossible standard. I read Jesus’ words to a potential follower (Luke 9:61) who wanted to go home and first ask permission. “But Jesus told him, ‘Anyone who lets himself be distracted from the work I plan for him is not fit for the Kingdom of God.’” (v. 62)
I read in this section, The Cost of Following Jesus, and once again I confess. I don’t know how. Father I see myself as grossly unfocused and undisciplined. I haven’t the slightest clue as to the commitment You would have me make to You.
The things I have attempted in the past (hence the confession of my judging of others) has usually been prompted by my desire to do things better than my elder predecessors. This has not yielded me any degree of satisfaction. Instead I am filled with the regret that comes from not knowing then what I am only learning now. Forgive me Father for the things I have not only thought but the foolish things I have said as well.
I love You so very much. I long to serve You well. You have a ton of work cut out for Yourself in turning me into the woman of Yours You originally created me to be. Get me completely out of Your Way, that Your transforming work would truly begin!
A brief section of theology in the Illustrated Bible Handbook entitled Judging Others begins with quotes from Luke, James and Paul. “Each says clearly that believers are not to take it on themselves to evaluate one another.” Father how I ask that You would set me free from such a critical mindset. This segment ends with a beautiful truth, “How wonderful it is to look at a brother or sister uncritically, freed by God to love him or her unstintingly, and so to communicate the amazing grace of our Lord.”
And just when I think You’re done teaching me for the moment, a TV like commercial rings out, “But wait. There’s more!”
Judging Others; (Luke) 6:37-45. “Relationships with others are to be free of judging, filled with forgiveness. The promise is that, as God’s people set a new pattern of life, others will begin to respond in similar ways (v.38). For this kind of life self-examination, not criticism of others is important (39-42). Actually, it’s never necessary for us to judge others. As time goes by, each life produces its own fruit: good fruit comes from those with good in their heart, bad from those who have evil stored within.”
Dearest, most beloved Father God, do what You must to produce the good fruit You would have my life yield. A bumper crop of “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23) would be so greatly appreciated. Come Holy Spirit have Your way in my life; in all of my heart, soul, mind and strength (Mark 12:30). Do in and through and with me all that I am absolutely unable to do for myself. I love, trust and depend on You and Your will for my life. Change me. Thank You. Amen.
(687 words ~ 10:40 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment