Thursday, June 18, 2009

musical morning

Thursday, June 18, 2009 (6:41 a.m.)

God of grace,

“… and God of glory, On Thy people pour Thy power…” (Joshua 1:9) Oh most dear and blessed God, thank You for all You’ve provided us. Friends, family, loved ones. Challenges, Your Word, Your Son, Your hope, Your love. Your will, Your way. All meant to help us become all that You have for us to become. Thank You Lord.

“What a privilege to carry Everything to You in prayer!” (Philippians 4:6) What a musical morning this has started out to be.

Just yesterday I got to share thoughts concerning life in You with a friend, both of us reiterating the fact that Your Word still speaks. Hebrews 4:12, “For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (NIV) “… cutting swift and deep into our innermost thoughts and desires with all their parts, exposing us for what we really are.” (TLB)

How grateful I am to come before You Lord “Just as I am, without one plea But that Thy blood was shed for me” (John 6:37). The comfort, strength, peace, hope, rest… that I get to experience in coming before You is such that I never want to leave. Truly Lord, You ARE an awesome and incredible God!

Thank You Lord, that even though I believe I falter and fail ever so much more than I succeed, here You are reminding me that I am “precious in Your sight” (Matthew 19:14). With all the songs that keep coming to me this morning Lord it is one based on Deuteronomy 11:1 that seems to stick closest to my heart right now.

As I continue to judge myself (harshly and perhaps a tad unfairly at times) I continue counting my misses, rather than my ‘wins’. Help me with this Dear Lord. Reading comments to chapter 10 verse one I am again encouraged that I am not the only one out here making mistakes, “The first stone tablets containing the law had been completely destroyed because of the people’s failure. How encouraging to see that God instructed Moses to bring new ones so He could rewrite His instructions to the people. No matter how great our failures, God still seeks to reach out to us. God always gives humble people a chance to start again But remember: this is a character of God (another glimpse of grace!) that should be appreciated, not presumed upon.”

As many times as I get hopeful in a thought like this, I immediately become afraid that I’m taking You for granted again. And almost just as fast, “Fear not!” and “Do not be afraid”, “Be of good courage” and like verses come to mind. Lord, I confess that I think I stink at representing You well. I fall short so very many times. How I ask that You will keep working in me.

And now to the commentary for the ‘right’ verse (11:1) “Obedience (this is where I think I do a lousy job!) to God’s instructions comes after the growth of our love-relationship with Him (maybe that’s it – I’m still growing in this area!) Love for God is a major motivating force in our obedience to the civil, ceremonial, and moral obligations He requests of us (the ones I don’t fully understand, as well as the ones I knowingly and carelessly don’t follow!). Our love and obedience should be a natural response to the love He has shown to us.” Which bring me all the way back to the last song for our time together here this morning.

“Day by day, day by day, O, dear Lord, three things I pray: To see Thee more clearly, Love Thee more dearly, Follow Thee more nearly, Day by day.”

Ah, yes Lord, let me take this musical time into the rest of the day. I love You so very much! Amen.

(670 words ~ 7:53 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment