Sunday, July 13, 2014

a mighty work

Sunday, July 13, 2014 (6:47 a.m.)
Most Holy God,

Many years ago You did a mighty work in me.
(7:15 a.m.)
And now I'm crying!

Father, thank You. Thank You for the love with which You created us. Thank You for the love You provide to sustain us. Thank You that it is that very love that changes us. Love. Your love.

And herein lies the story of You changing my life. Your Word provides us with inspiring Truth. When we recognize Your Truth and act upon it, we are nourished. As we continue living our lives based on Your Word, we are changed.

You teach me to surrender to Your teachings. You empower and enable me to do all that I cannot possibly ever do on my own. You get to our very core. Our root. You ARE the Gardener who cuts off every branch that doesn't produce fruit, and prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more (John 15:1-2).

Father God, I don't know how many years it has been since You spoke louder to me than I can ever remember. Oh, but how I thank You for Your Word. Your Truth!

Despicable words had been exchanged between a hurting brother and sister. Far below the belt, hateful insults were screamed nose-to-nose at each other outside in a driveway. Feelings were much more than hurt. They were annihilated!

A daughter of one and grandson of the other were witness to the vile ugliness of it all. Each hugging the other for comfort, as well as a degree of safety. How I humble at the memory.

These tears of celebration I shed at the final outcome of Your work on our behalf are currently mixed with such a remembrance of shame and regret. Oh Father, how I thank You for Your mighty work!

A mighty work that has that same brother and sister planning to go to church this morning in honor of the 85th anniversary of their mom's birth. That mighty work that came about only because of Your tremendous love, mercy and grace.

The Message version of Philippians 1:9 practically screamed Your Truth to me all those years ago. My heart continues to melt each time I remember it. Tears flow and the breath catches short in my throat.

“So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well.”

As I sit here sobbing at Paul's words, Father, I am again caught by the Truth that I still love much, but not all that well. You have so much more for us. I squander much and share little. Ah, but You are You. Holy. Trustworthy. Faithful. And I look to You. Knowing, trusting, believing that You will continue doing Your mighty work in and through and with each of us.

And here I take the J.B. Phillips New Testament and ask You to once again do a mighty work in me. Make it so for me to fully live Paul's prayer to the believers in Philippi.

“My prayer for you is that you may have still more love – a love that is full of knowledge and wise insight. I want you to be able always to recognise the highest and the best, and to live sincere and blameless lives until the day of Jesus Christ. I want to see your lives full of true goodness, produced by the power that Jesus Christ gives you to the praise and glory of God” (Philippians 1:9-11). Yes Father, please. 

Love. Your highest and best. Sincere and blameless lives. True goodness. All produced by the power of Jesus. Praise and glory to You. THAT is how I desire to live each moment. Show me. Teach me. Empower and enable me. In Your Son's most holy name I ask. Amen.

(631 words ~ 8:18 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment