Friday, July 12, 2013

distracted


Friday, July 12, 2013 (7:44 a.m.)
Most Holy God,
I did it again! I attempted avoiding sadness. At first I didn't see it coming. It started with just wanting to sit. Then watch T.V. Once I began 'eating my feelings' I knew I was in trouble. Still I didn't turn immediately to You. Thank You that in Your presence is the very first place I wanted to be this morning.
Father, thank You that the distractions I formerly chose to placate myself no longer hold the power over me they once did. Faced with the sadness of distressing news, I often do choose You over food. Thank You Father. That is You again at work here.
A young family is going through huge changes. I didn't immediately notice the affect the news had on me until much later. A much loved one has lost a sole surviving son in a tragic death. And all this on the heels of the much anticipated birth of our second grandchild.
How have I not yet thanked You for the miracle of another very healthy and successful home birth? To say I have been distracted is such an understatement. But no excuse!
Ah, distracted. Your Word even tells of others who were distracted ages ago. Thank You Father! You spoke to Moses concerning the People of Israel, telling him to instruct them to wear tassels on the corners of their garments to remind them to 'not get distracted by everything they felt or saw that would seduce them into infidelities' (Numbers 15:37-41). 
You knew Father. You've always known who would be faithful and who would get distracted. Thank You for providing us with such wonderful reminders.
The apostle Paul wrote to the believers at Colosse declaring Christ as the only real source of power in our lives. At one time they all had their backs turned to You (Colossians 1:21). Through Christ's death and resurrection we were all brought over to Your side and our lives put together, “whole and holy” in Your presence (v. 22).
Our thoughts and actions, when our life is unmanageable and spinning wildly out of control, are what separates us from You (The Life Recovery Bible). It is when we “stay grounded and steady in that bond of trust, constantly tuned in to the Message, careful not to be distracted or diverted” (Colossians 1:23) that we find peace in and with and through You.
In showing Your people how to live, James wrote of catching 'a glimpse of Your revealed counsel - the free life! - even out of the corner of an eye, sticking with it and not being a “distracted scatterbrain but a man or woman of action. That person will find delight and affirmation in the action' (James 1:25).
Sitting. Moping. Random eating and T.V. viewing will NOT provide me the peace I can only find in You. Thank You Father! Thank You for Your love and Your constant reminders of Your goodness and Your grace. Let me use them well this day. I love You. I thank You. Amen.
(512 words ~ 9:37 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment