Friday, November 11, 2011

"Be Holy"

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 (7:35 a.m.)

Loving Lord Jesus,

I had planned to ask You about love and forgiveness. Instead I’m asking You to guide me in Your Word today. Take me in the direction You would have me go.

Jesus, I love You. It’s taken me so very long to become more comfortable using Your name. I’m not there yet. It’s still a conscious effort.

And from the word ‘conscious’ I went to 1Peter 1:17 (The Message) “Your life is a journey you must travel with a deep consciousness of God.”

(8:37 a.m.)

I’ve spent this past hour pouring over different translations of 1 Peter 1 and Hebrews 4:12. I can’t even begin to express myself. I’m torn between hope and despair. I know I am called to Be Holy (1Peter 1:13-2:3) but I also know my own propensity to run off ahead of You and try to make that happen on my own.

Lord Jesus, I have experienced the joy of watching You work in my life. I confess to far too often trying to crack some mysterious code that would allow me special access into Your presence, enabling me to live above the circumstances in which I find myself.

I read words like “self-controlled” (v. 13), “obedient” (14) and “grow up” (2:2) and I honestly stop and think, “Oh no. Anything but that.” Blessed Jesus, I have slipped back over to behaving selfishly and immaturely.

And You just keep on taking over don’t You! I confess. You lead! Verses I’ve read before take on brand new meaning when I filter them through confession and prayer. Hebrews 4:12-13 (Cotton Patch Gospel), “For God’s Word is alive with energy, and sharper than any double-edged sword you ever saw; so sharp, in fact, that it can draw a line between the mental and the spiritual, like separating bones from marrow, and discern all our inner emotions and drives. For there isn’t a thing in the world He doesn’t notice. Before Him, whose Word searches us, everything stands naked and bare.”

There really isn’t anything about me that You don’t already know! It’s me that gets all caught up in trying to figure things out instead of just trusting You to be and do all You have promised all along.

The Life Recovery Bible commentary for this section of Hebrews states, “During hard times our faith tends to dwindle; it is easy to grow angry and harden our heart to the truth about ourself. There is an antidote to this problem: the Word of God, whish has spiritual power to penetrate even the deepest denial. This is good news for those of us struggling to overcome a dysfunctional life-style characterized by a tendency to distort reality. God knows everything about us, even the things we try to hide from ourself. We can count on Him, through His Word, to uncover the problems and needs we will face in recovery.” Oh AMEN Blessed Jesus! Amen.

I have to turn myself completely over to You. I cannot manufacture holiness on my own. I can never be good, holy, pure, righteous… enough by myself. It all has to come through You. Filter me through You this day. Teach and enable me to truly Be Holy! I love You Blessed Jesus. Thank You. Amen.

(551 words ~ 9:24 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment