Sunday, August 3, 2014

immediate vicinity

Sunday, August 3, 2014 (9:11 a.m.)
Holy Father,

I love You. You amaze and delight me. Often. Thank You. Right now, this very minute we are experiencing a tropical type morning. Overcast. Breezy. With sounds of birds and banana palms in the immediate vicinity.

Deep breath. Heavy sigh. Blessed Father, how I look to You to lead and guide us this day.

The thoughts of what a perfect day for yard work mingle with the idea of just sitting and enjoying the brief break in the weather forecast. I could far too easily be swayed one way more than another.

How perfect that You would have me turn to Joshua 9. The people of Gibeon were aware of their helplessness against the Israelites so they set out to deceive Joshua and Your people. Being from the immediate vicinity of Joshua's camp, the Gibeonites deceptively pretend to have traveled a great distance. Joshua's buys into the ruse. Hook, line and sinker.

Thank You Father that I have these examples of deception to remind me that even Your chosen people are easily led astray. The Israelites made their decision based on what thy saw. Tattered clothes and moldy bread. They did not seek Your guidance. How often am I at fault of the very same?

As I read again of Joshua's faith in You, I am reminded that his faith “did not result in a life free from battles. The battles were to be fought and won through continued reliance on God” (The Life Recovery Bible comment for Joshua 8:10-23). Thank You for continuing to teach me that “Like Joshua, we need to persevere with God's strength and resist the tendency to run from our own personal battles.”

Okay. Yard work it is! Guide me. Fortify and pace me. Lead me as only You can. I love You. I long to serve You. Let me freely share You with others. Thank You Father. Aloha. Shalom. Amen.
(325 words ~ 10:06 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment