Monday, August 1, 2011

Psalm 23

Monday, August 1, 2011 (10:10 a.m.)

Blessed Lord,

I am coming to You as a sheep. In desperate need of You, my Shepherd (Psalm 23). Lord God, how I thank You that it IS because of You that I have everything that I need and ‘shall not want’ (v.1). How I ask You Lord to ‘make me lie down in green pastures. Lead me beside the still waters (2). Restore my soul (3a).’

I am feeling extremely shaky and scared right now Lord. I have successfully put off doing most things around here while planning and executing two vacation trips and a baby shower. Now that it’s time to get back on board with a regular schedule of doing life day in and day out, I fear that I have forgotten how.

Tiny, little decisions are overwhelming to me. Where do I start? With what do I begin? Thank You for the husband with the presence of mind to answer, “Why don’t you pray?”

Yes Lord. I need a Shepherd. You, who ‘leads me in the paths of righteousness for Your name’s sake’ (3b). I confess to You Dearest Lord, there is a part of me that is ‘fearing evil’ (4a) right now. Even as ‘I walk through this current valley of the shadow of death, I DO find comfort in Your rod and Your staff’ (4b).

Lord, this current valley of which I speak is not just of a physical nature. There is a death of ideals and dreams running concurrently. And here I choose to trust You instead of continuing to fear.

Lord, I love You. How I thank You for Your presence in my life. Thank You that I get to truly trust that ‘You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies’ (5a). And just as I was preparing to confess that I don’t really understand what is meant by ‘You anoint my head with oil’ (5b), I read a different translation (CEV) and got a much better grasp of it. “You honor me as Your guest”. And not only that! “You fill my cup until it overflows” (5c)!

Dearest Lord, it is in YOU I get to trust! ‘SURELY goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in Your house forever’ (6). What a promise. I’d much rather trust You than remain afraid. In my trust I ask You Lord to ‘bless me and keep me, make Your face to shine upon me and be gracious to me, turn Your face toward me Lord and give me peace’ (Numbers 6:24-26).

I love You so very much Dearest Lord. How I thank You just now, after all these years of wondering, for showing me exactly how it is that Your rod is here to comfort me. I never could understand how a rod was a good thing for a sheep. I just read a footnote that explains it as being a club for defending against wild animals. Ah! A truly good shepherd knows these things. Thank You Lord for being my TRULY Good Shepherd!

How I ask You to guide me and guard me this month. There is SO very much to do and I am absolutely prone to just wandering off and getting lost somewhere. I love You Lord. Thank You for being my Shepherd. Amen.

(562 words ~ 11:14 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment