Friday, August 12, 2011

neighbors

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 (7:31 a.m.)

Most Dear and Blessed Lord God,

How I thank You for the neighbors You have provided us. I actually just started singing Mr. Rogers Won’t You Be My Neighbor? How’s that for completely unexpected?

Looking in Your Word there is much to be found about neighbors and neighborhoods. Growing up in a tightly knit one with people still being friends after more than 55 years, yes Lord, I have to thank You for neighbors!

It truly was a beautiful day in the neighborhood yesterday Lord. Neighbors shared coffee and lemonade with one another. There were many words of encouragement. Hugs. Your name was spoken as the source of strength and power. What a blessing it was Lord. From start to finish, it was a true blessing. Thank You Lord.

Now… what would You have me learn about neighbors today?

Friday, August 12, 2011 (8:25 a.m.)

Something seems to be up with me Lord. Or is it ‘down’? I believe myself to be fully aware of the blessings You provide us, yet I feel as though I have been avoiding You. Truly, I don’t know what’s going on.

Open the eyes of my heart Lord… I want to see You… To see You high and lifted up Shinin’ in the light of Your glory Pour out Your power and love As we sing holy, holy, holy… Holy, holy, holy I want to see You

But do I really? If I truly want to see You, wouldn’t I be looking in Your direction? Instead I feel myself running in the opposite direction. Something’s going on with me. IN me! And I don’t know what it is, NOR what to do about it.

So here I am. Again. After days of avoidance and turning my head around, truly asking (seeking, knocking) that You would open the eyes of my heart. To let me see You high and lifted up. Shinin’ in the light of Your glory.

What better place to possibly be? I AM asking You to pour out Your and love as I sing holy, holy, holy. What would it be like for me to truly sing those words just as a matter of fact? Nothing contrived. Just an automatic response to whatever comes my way.

Yes Lord. Speak to me about this. You have provided us so many blessings. Oh and speak to me You do! Thank You Lord. You are so good. So perfect. So all knowing. Picking up again in Zechariah (7:9) from the other day, I read messages of hope.

Lord God, I confess to You that I used to believe that I knew so much. Now I question, even doubt most things. “Seeing is believing” doesn’t cut it for me any more. I doubt. I question. I wonder. Yes Lord, even worry. But then I remember. YOU are good! All the time! All the time. You are good. Thank You Lord.

Too often I wonder if I can truly tell up from down. I am easily discouraged. Disillusioned. And then I come back to Your Word. I filter things through You. I am reminded that I am to stand firm in Your love. I don’t have all the answers as I had once mistakenly believed, but I know The One who does! Thank You for the invitation and the opportunity to love and be loved by You.

As I read The Message version of Your Word, Eugene Peterson reports Zechariah’s words to the people rebuilding Your temple thusly, “When you held days of fasting every fifth and seventh month all these seventy years (of Babylonian exile), were you doing it for me? And when you held feasts, was that for me? Hardly. You’re interested in religion, I’m interested in people” (7:5-6).

I read The Life Recovery Bible commentary and am again reminded, “Only as our heart is changed by God can real deliverance occur.” Mm yes Lord. Real deliverance. So many things are being blocked around here by our refusal, unwillingness or inability to just let go! Help us Lord.

You have provided us loving neighbors Lord. Truly loving neighbors. How we thank and praise You for SUCH an awesome gift!

Back to The Message, YOUR Message! “There’s nothing new to say on the subject (of fasting). Don’t you still have the message of the earlier prophets … Well, the message hasn’t changed. God-of-the-Angel Armies said then and says now: (7:7-8) ‘Treat one another justly. Love your neighbors. Be compassionate with each other’ (v.9).” Ah Lord, You wrap it up so nicely for us. You know exactly what we need. Not only that, You provide it all for us! In just the right measure!

Keep me looking to You Dear Lord. Ever opening the eyes of my heart so I can see You high and lifted up. Oh how I truly do love You. Thank You Lord. Pour out Your power and love that I would TRULY sing Holy, Holy, Holy How I thank and praise Your most holy name! Amen.

(844 words ~ 9:34 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment