Tuesday, May 31, 2011

ALWAYS

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 (5:55 a.m.)

Blessed Lord,

You are good. I sat down with You yesterday, but I didn’t stay. I was trying to make sense of the lyrics to Nights on Broadway Some of them seemed quite appropriate. But I didn’t stay long enough to see if that’s where You wanted us to go.

Just now, before my eyes were fully open, the song began for me again. So… Here we are not so much ‘in the room full strangers’, nor are we ‘standing in the dark, where Your eyes couldn’t see me’.

I believe without a doubt that while my eyes may not always see You, Your eyes can ALWAYS see me. Thank You Lord! Thank You that even when I allow myself to become twisted up in the events of the moment, You are ALWAYS right here with me.

As I consider the word ‘always’, I turn to Deuteronomy 4:7. Moses was speaking to Your people, urging them to obey You. They were getting ready to cross over the Jordan River to the land of milk and honey You had promised them long ago.

While I am reading this, the melody grows stronger in my mind. Even if it takes a lifetime, takes a lifetime Lord, You are so faithful. So just. (1John 1:9) The promises You made all those years ago remain today.

“Yes. What other great nation has gods that are intimate with them the way God, our God, is with us, always ready to listen?” (Deuteronomy 4:7) You are ALWAYS here with us.

And this puts me right back reading the words of the song. I can almost hear YOU singing these words to each of Your people, Well, I have to follow you Though you didn’t want me to. But that won’t stop my lovin’ you I can’t stay away

I see Your determination to wait for us to come to our senses. Throughout this chapter we are warned and urged to obey You. There are even ‘safe towns’, ‘cities of refuge’ established for the good of Your people.

It is the good of Your people for which I approach You this morning. Dearest Lord, big mistakes, HUGE mistakes have been made through the years. Mistakes that tend to take their toll. Through it all, I keep coming back to You.

“But you will also begin to search again for Jehovah your God, and You will find Him when you search for Him with all you heart and soul. When those bitter days have come upon you in the latter times, you will finally return to the Lord your God and listen to what He tells you. For the Lord your God is merciful – He will not abandon you nor destroy you nor forget the promises He has made to your ancestors” (29-31).

Lord, I confess to not knowing the beliefs of my ancestors. I see the remnants of despair that trying to do things on their own have led to. That’s why I’m here standing in the dark asking Your blessing on us who remain. We need to know You Lord. Know You and trust You. You are good. You are worthy. As I lean into and depend on You, I so very humbly ask You to forgive each of us for trying so desperately to live our lives on our own understanding. Guide and direct us Dearest Lord. Right straight to the blessings You have set for each of us. I love You so very much. Thank You for loving me more than I can ever begin to imagine. Bless You. Praise You. Thank You. Amen.

(604 words ~ 7:28 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment